Like any project we collectively decide to embark upon at Free Rangers, "I See, You See" our nature inspired children's book, was no different.
From conception, it involved many group meetings, and valuable input from all the staff at Free Rangers and of course the children!
The easiest decision was to approach Kate Daubney, the most talented illustrator behind our great logo that Taxi Studio created.
Pulling this project together was a new venture and none of us had any background in publishing, printing or creating a children's book. That sort of scenario always motivates and so we jumped two feet in.
We were recommended the lovely Stephanie Weise, a newly graduated student from Bristol University's Design Department. She had never designed a children's book either, but we all agreed fresh eyes on this new project might bring something unique to the finished book.
We wanted "I See, You See" to encourage families to:
1) Enjoy the green space that is on their doorstep
2) To share time and experiences in the great outdoors
3) Be mindful of the wonderful world around them
From a teaching and learning point of view, in case the above three points aren't reason enough to enjoy the book, we have also considered:
1) Helping children to understand days of the week and the concept of the passing of time
2) Encouraging children to explore their understanding of shapes
3) Rhythm and rhyme and the flow of words
4) A list of easy activities that will encourage your little Free Rangers to venture out and explore their own green spaces.
5) A careful use of colour; calming muted greens, followed by full colour spreads to highlight the rich abundance of wildlife nature offers.
Sit back, relax and enjoy sharing this little gem of a book with your nearest and dearest; then be prepared to pull on your wellies, whatever the weather, and experience the great outdoors in the best way possible; first hand!
Psssst! Did we tell you, it's available to buy on the Free Rangers Shop?