We have a few messages from the office.
1) Week commencing Monday 22nd May sees all the children involved with their own Three Peaks Challenge (walking up and down two of our fields three times!) Any sponsorship money they raise will be added to the larger pot that is being raised for three Free Rangers' children. Please ask room leaders for full details, or drop into the office for details and a sponsorship form.
2) Congratulations to Lucy from The Den for being awarded a Public Health Award for her work on raising awareness on physical exercise, time spent outdoors and healthy outcomes for children within Early Years education, here's some of the feedback she received with regards to The Greenway Challenge and The Big Dig Ed held up at the pond planting the new trees.
"Great next steps to include cooking/eating the food grown."
"Big dig is a great idea to engage families!"
"Good to see children getting involved and working together to grow fruit and vegetables."
"Good to see families expanding the Greenway challenge."
"Clearly engaged families to their children out along the Greenway."
"Good to hear the feedback that if they couldn’t get to this place they visited other places more accessible to them."
"Good to see how the setting is using the outdoor space for growing food and that children were involved. Glad plans are to continue."
"Great thought out activities to engage children and families in activities. Great to have a blog and communicate in a way that families engage."
The award group were grateful for additional information and the blog which help to bring the case studies to life, so thank you for getting those over too.
Your clear next steps should also continue to increase physical activity levels whilst engaging more families as well as getting children growing more and incorporating their successful crops into snack time.
All in all very good examples of encouraging positive habits around activity and eating. Your case studies will soon go onto the website as examples of good practice. I look forward to celebrating with you at the Celebration event later in the month and hopefully supporting the setting to achieve the next certificate so that you can achieve the full DPH Award.
3) We will make a decision about delivering the 30 hrs by June 1st and will communicate this with families via email, onsite and through our social media streams.
4) We soon say goodbye and good luck to Sophie from the Den (she's off on maternity!) and to Kate also from the Den who is moving to a setting behind Sainsbury's car park in Midsomer Norton, Hidden Garden Day Nursery. We wish them the best of luck on their next adventures.
5) As you may have noticed Gemma is expecting too (clearly something in the water down here.) Gemma is due to start her maternity leave in July, and Charlotte (one of the owners, will be acting as manager during her absence.) Charlotte will be spending all of May and June in the office and on site, in order for a proper and in depth hand over to take place. She'll also try to be on the gate more often to meet families and introduce herself. Please continue to email firstname.lastname@example.org for questions and queries.